Monday, January 5, 2009

In Defense of Blogging (a brief polemic)


I think it was Katherine Hepburn who said that there is nothing more invigorating than a good enemy. In a similar vein, I often feel that my creative self is strengthened by adversarial comments as much as by praise. Perhaps because it is in the process of defending myself and my art, that I get the most clarity and purpose about what I'm doing and where I want to go. It's not always a pleasant process, but the end result almost always leaves me stronger and heartier than I was before. Kind of like swallowing cod liver oil.

Hence this little dissertation on blogging - what it means to me, why I do it, and why I will defend it to the end, both to real or imagined detractors. (side note: this photo is not directly related to blogging - it's just my bulletin board which is what I happen to be looking at while at my desk.)

What's motivating me to defend myself anyway? Well, recently a friend commented "I always thought of people who blog as having too much time on their hands." I don't know if this was aimed at me directly, but I certainly took offense. And I instantly thought of some of the blogs I read and admire - The Sartorialist, A Dress A Day, Tea & Cookies, Blue Lotus, Karin's Style Blog, to name a few - by bloggers who seem, rather than having time on their hands, to have their hands on time. That is, to be extremely good at doing whatever they do (cooking, crafting, making dresses, taking photos) AND blogging about it. These are my role models, and I aspire to be more like them some day - more productive, more time-efficient, better at documenting my art and my journey.

But meanwhile, I blog because....I like it.

I like the way blogging gives me an outlet, a forum, a way to organize my thoughts and my vision. Far from being a time-waster, I feel that blogging is a very useful and therapeutic process which actually HELPS to get the energy moving for me to do other creative things. Moreover, it gives me the feeling of having an audience (even it's only two people), which is so essential to break the solitude of painting. Some people use drugs, some people use therapy (I have - but it's too expensive), some people use social activities (or facebook), or movies, or yoga, or whatever - all of which take that crucial ingredient - time. I don't see that blogging is necessarily more time-killing than anything else one does in a day. And it actually inspires me as much as or more than any of the activities listed above. And it's free!

At various times in my life I've heard the comment "You've got too much time on your hands," usually when i was doing something creative that had no end product in mind, i.e., no money or "goal" attached (and usually from people who seemed creatively frustrated themselves). No matter how busy I was with school or jobs or whatever, I ALWAYS found time to do something absolutely useless but creative - write songs, make cards, draw little cartoons, put on a play, or whatever. Are these things killing time? Or am I just "keeping the channel open" as Martha Graham instructs artists to do?* (see quote below)

So there you have it - a long answer to what was probably just a casual comment by a friend. Well, consider yourself more educated now about blogs and the creative process (and about me) ;-)

happy new year!

*Here is the full quotation, which inspires me each and every time I read it:
'"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open. ... No artist is pleased. [There is] no satisfaction whatever at any time. There is only a queer divine dissatisfaction, a blessed unrest that keeps us marching and makes us more alive than the others"' - Martha Graham

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Caroline. For years I thought blogging was navel-gazing, but lately I've really come to understand what an important and relevant form of expression it is - entirely pertinent to the digital times we live in. You've inspired me to start mine, so write-on, girl, write-on...
and this:
http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200811/andrew-sullivan-why-i-blog

wampoline said...

Thanks Mags!

Funny how "navel-gazing" seems to be the term for whatever other people do that is not somehow woven into social life, family, or accepted ideas of "work." Philosophers were often accused of navel-gazing, as were the romantic poets - Byron et al. Along with many other artists and writers throughout history. People forget this and think that artists and writers just spring up like lilies in a nicely cleared field, with their path laid out for them. Anyone trying to do anything new and different in this world faces uphill battles and obstacles every step of the way.

I saw that Andrew Sullivan piece - i'm glad that now blogging has the Atlantic stamp of approval on it. One more thing i can use to defend myself and my process- but of course i would blog anyway, even if it wasn't accepted by the literary powers that be ;-)

Jill said...

I've got to start blogging again!! I agree, it's got a lot of fringe benefits!! xo Jill

wampoline said...

Yes Jill, please blog! Your blog was my original inspiration - in fact, I think I learned what a blog was through you!

Angela said...

To much time on our hands? Hmmmm...I wish that were the case. I think blogging takes a lot of courage and is down right therapeutic. It's also an easy way to share with friends and strangers alike a slice of real life (mine). If you don't like it, don't read it. I know for a fact my silly blog has helped other dog owners and given a chuckle or two. An artist (or, one could argue, anyone) needs time to meander, not think too much, etc. Blogging is one way for me to achieve this. I meander with words...I get some 'junk' out so I can then fill that space with inspiration, new ideas, new thoughts...

Otherwise, I, for one, am just stirring in the same old soup...it gets cold after awhile...

On another note, I'm so excited to visit next month!!! Yipeeee!!! C said, "Remind me again why we are going to Boston in February?" LOL

wampoline said...

Thanks Dog-ma, i'm glad this post generated so many comments (well, half of which are mine, but still).

Your blog definitely helps dog owners, i can attest to that. And i agree that it's an easy way to share your life with friends and family at a distance. In fact, now that i think of it, that was the original purpose of my blog - to use it as a replacement for writing long, rambling emails to distant friends. Now when i have something to say, i put it on the blog. So in fact, blogging has saved me time, since i feel less pressure to send photos and write long emails to people now. I figure if they are really curious about my life they can look on the blog. And because there is no pressure for them to reply to a long letter, I am actually saving them time as well.

Wow the more I think about it, the more I think I deserve a medal for blogging!

wampoline said...

To answer C's question: "Remind me again why we are going to Boston in February?" - So you can appreciate San Francisco in March, haha!

Anonymous said...

You know what, Caroline, you've helped me reconsider the nature of the term navel-gazing, therefore dispensing of any and all guilt associated with the (sometimes limited) time I actually get to do it. It is the right of anyone who has an artist residing in their heart. Thanks for that.