Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Resolutions for Les Autres

My whole life I've tried to be a good person, and every single new year's I make a list of yet more things to improve on, get better at, be better at, etc etc.

Lately I've been thinking. This whole self-improvement, self-actualization thing has been exhausting, expensive, and overall a big waste of time.

I don't need to change another thing about myself. I'm fine the way I am - and anyway, did making resolutions for myself ever really change anything?

So I'm committed to making resolutions now only for other people. People, who, unlike me, really DO need to change. Here are some .

Stop killing eachother. I won't say which people in which countries I'm directing that to, but I think you can think of a few right off the top of your head. Listen, there are a lot of folks in my life who have pissed me off big time, as well as ripped me off, and even done physical harm to me and people I love. That doesn't mean that i have to KILL them. Solve your problems and grow up!

Stop hurting eachother. Again, this can apply to governments as well as individuals. Stop torturing, stop abusing, stop being MEAN to eachother. See a counselor, talk to the UN, talk to your priest, rabbi, spiritual leader, DEAL with it!

Stop consuming so much - OK, this applies to me too. But still. I am not living in a 10,000 square foot house with 10 bathrooms, driving a Hummer, or flying around in a private jet. Go get some therapy if your life feels empty. Plant a garden. Or start a blog!

No comments: