Wednesday, December 31, 2008

New Year's Peeve


Can we all just agree right now that New Year's Eve is the stupidest holiday ever invented? I mean, even Valentine's Day is more exciting. Then at least you can make little hearts out of doilies, and eat a lot of chocolate without feeling guilty. On New Year's Eve there is nothing to make or do - you are just supposed to "celebrate." But celebrate what? The beginning of winter? The end of the holidays? the reprisal of your diet? the departure of your in-laws? (Now that's worth a few fireworks...)

Tonight while sitting diligently through a "festive" dinner, I went through my mind to remember some of my "New Year Highlights", or should I say, "Lowlights"? I list them here for your perusal, in no particular order. For no reason except that I remember them and feel like dragging them out one more time - if only to remind myself why next year I should stay home and watch a movie and eat popcorn (which is exactly what I wanted to do this year, but got pulled into "celebrating.").

-- Well, there was that time in Spain when I almost choked to death trying to eat the obligatory 12 grapes at midnight - one grape for each strike of the clock bell. (Who thinks up these rituals anyway? Obsessive compulsives?) Later the man I was with got violently ill (probably from eating the grapes), threw up everywhere, and passed out. Happy Frickin' New Year!

-- Then there was another time, in high school, when I ended up on a couch making out with someone that I not only didn't like, but absolutely hated. Go figure. I think I may have been drinking Frangelico liqueur that night.

-- Oh, and let's not forget the time I slipped on ice and broke my elbow, while wearing ballerina slippers on a subzero New England night (yes, I was young and foolish then, and my mother told me to wear more sensible shoes, and she was right). Actually, that wasn't a New Year's Eve, but it felt so crappy - and ended so badly - that it could have been.

And there were others....they all blur together. Mostly what I remember about New Year's Eve is feeling cold and tired, being drunk but not happy-drunk, looking desperately for fun in various places and mostly finding stragglers like me looking for the same thing, and finally wanting only to go home. And then - oh joy! - waiting for a taxi, or a bus, or some way to get back that doesn't involve walking for miles and miles (though I've done that too).

I would say that I'm going to boycott New Year's Eve next year - but I say that every year. And every year I give it one more chance. If New Year's Eve was a person, I should have broken up with him a long time ago. This is a completely dysfunctional relationship.

(Note: I do not include Chinese New Year in this diatribe - because Chinese New Year makes so much more sense! Seasonally, it is closer to spring, and there are pretty fruit blossoms and interesting things to do and eat and a parade you can watch without wading through snow - usually, anyway.)

2 comments:

Angela said...

Oh, Caroline, I'm crying with laughter at this! You really have to write a book! A few years ago, I chose to 'celebrate' NYE in quiet, which means, I'm usually asleep at midnight, LOL! But this means I can get up early in the quiet since everyone is hung over. I love walking the dogs early on NYD!

I like that we were in a cabin in the snow this year (Last year I was just home worrying about Erik at a party, and waiting, then he and his friend came home and yelled at drunks walking by outside, LOL)...we DID eat popcorn and watch a movie! There is always that pressure to have FUN...even Erik, at 15, felt it and was feeling bad that all his friends back home were OUT having FUN.

wampoline said...

I'm glad I can at least elicit some laughs from my experience - it makes me feel like it wasn't all a total waste! And believe me, there are way more stories, funnier and juicier, but I think some of them will have to wait to be written when I'm too old to be embarassed anymore (or too old to care about getting sued!).