Sunday, November 2, 2008

Foliage in the 'hood








My favorite tree for foliage in the neighborhood is just around the corner, and it really is stunning right now. I stood for ten minutes the other day taking pictures of it, and was joined by another photographer who was on his way to a workshop - but felt compelled to stop and take pictures as well. We both just stood under the tree and marveled at the beauty together (and no, we didn't exchange numbers - I'm a married woman, get your mind out of the gutter!)

I love the fact that the residents haven't bothered to rake the leaves, letting them spill over the lawn and sidewalk and street, creating the most beautiful, multi-colored (and pleasingly audible) carpet.

By the way, did you know why leaves turn red?

I was curious, so I did hours and hours of research about it - NOT! I spent 3 minutes searching on the internet and found it on this site:

"Leaves get their green color from chlorophyll, a pigment found in plant leaves that enables them to process sunlight. Fall's shorter days and cooler temperatures cause the chlorophyll to move from the leaves to the branches, trunk and roots, and the yellow and orange pigments that are always present become visible.

Other chemical processes produce the brilliant reds, purples and bronzes. On warm fall days, sugar is produced in the leaves of some trees and then trapped by the chill of night. As sugar accumulates, the leaves turn brighter red."

Talk about a sugar high! So is that why they're called sugar maples? Feel free to do more heavy "research" and get back to me!

1 comment:

Jill said...

HI CW -- I love the pics of that tree! I had a favorite tree, too -- it was on Quincy Street in Cambridge, just on the edge of the quad of HU. It was a maple I think, and it did the same thing as shown in your pics -- exploded red! Beautiful!